Be Prepared for the Winter!
As summer winds down, you should start thinking about your heating system! The last thing you want is to turn your furnace on and not get any heat … especially when getting someone to your house for a service call during the heating season can be a hassle! Luckily, there are steps you can take now to check your heating system and make sure it’s running properly:
- Turn up the heat at least five degrees higher than the current room temperature. If it’s a clock thermostat, make sure the timer is set correctly or place it in “manual” mode. A working heating system will spring into action in a minute or two, letting you know you’re ready to take on the winter! If it doesn’t turn on…
- Check your switches! Make sure the emergency switch and all other switches on the heating unit are on.
- Check for any blown fuses or tripped breakers. If necessary, replace any blown fuses or reset your circuit breaker.
- Check the oil. Check your tank gauge to see if there’s enough oil in the tank.
- Push the “Reset button ONE TIME ONLY. If none of the above applies, find the reset button, which is usually located next to the burner. Do not press the reset button a second time under any circumstances.
You’re all done! How’d you do? If your heating system started up without a hitch, then your home is ready for winter. If your system didn’t start, contact us online or call us at 203-776-2000 so that we can get you the help you need!